Turmeric infused lemon rice
Lemon Rice is a delicious South Indian dish you can easily put together when in a hurry. You can also make it with leftover rice. Turmeric gives lemon rice its beautiful golden color, without which it would be incomplete. Serve Lemon Rice with plain yogurt, salad and/or Papadams* for a simple, yet tasty meal.
- 1 cup Basmati rice (or leftover rice)
- 2 tbsps vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp cilantro chopped
- 2 red chillies (dry) optional
- 1/2 cup peanuts (roasted and unsalted)
- 1/4 cup cashewnuts
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Salt to taste
- Oil 2 tbsp
- Cook 1 cup basmati rice with 2 cups water in a rice cooker. You may use leftover rice if available. Heat leftover rice before mixing in other ingredients.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds and dried red chillies (optional). Fry till the spluttering stops and add the peanuts and cashew nuts. Fry for another minute. Add the turmeric powder and turn off the fire.
- Add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Add the rice, salt to taste and mix thoroughly. Garnish with cilantro leaves.
- Serve hot with Papadams.
*Papadam, is a thin, crisp disc-shaped Indian food typically based on a seasoned dough made from black gram, fried or cooked with dry heat.
Nutrition facts: (per serving) Calories: 150, Fat 6 gm, Carbs 23 gm, Protein 2 gm
– Aparna Ramadurai